Louis L. Valentine Boys & Girls Club

3400 S. Emerald, Chicago, IL 60616
Tel. 773-927-7373
Office Hours: 8:30am-5pm
Club Director – Dawn Jimenez
Program Director – Raul Rodriguez

Our Story
The Louis L. Valentine Club is located in the heart of Chicago’s Bridgeport community and serves more than 1,200 members annually. A landmark in the community, this unique Club is protected by two 50-foot totem poles located at the entrance of the building. Some of the features of our Club include: a heated indoor swimming pool, gymnasium, games room, dance studio, education center, arts & crafts room, cadet room, and much much more.

About The Neighborhood
The Louis L. Valentine Club serves youth from a variety of communities: Bridgeport, Chinatown/Armour Square, Canaryville/New City, Bronzeville, and McKinley Park. Roughly 40% of this club's members come from Bridgeport, and the remaining 60% come from Armour Square (which includes Chinatown), New City (which includes Canaryville), and McKinley Park.Bridgeport is bounded on the north by the South Branch of the Chicago River, on the west by Bubbly Creek (the river's South Fork), on the south by Pershing Road, and on the east by the Union Pacific railroad tracks.

Bridgeport has been described as one of the four most ethnically diverse neighborhoods in Chicago, with a traditional Irish working class stronghold, Lithuanian, Mexican American, and Chinese American residential mix. Additionally, some development may be underway to make Bridgeport one of the next artist colonies in Chicago with investors and artists springing up in the area. For example, in 2012, an urban experiment took place during the annual Version Festival, including plans for opening up a bookstore (with no bookstore currently in the neighborhood), a music/performance space in a church (First Trinity Church), a home brewing clubhouse, a department store/gallery showcasing locally manufactured small batch and artisanal products, nomadic collaborative restaurants and community kitchens (with cooking classes for the community), parking lot flea markets, a neighborhood tourism bureau, a donut shop /art gallery and couple of exhibition spaces for artists and designers (to exhibit local artists).Armour Square lies between 26th Street to the north, 35th Street to the south, railroad tracks on the west and the Dan Ryan Expressway to the east.

It is a mix of white working class, Italian-Americans, Croatian-Americans, African Americans, and Asians. Canaryville is home to a large Irish, Mexican, and African American community.McKinley Park is just southwest of Bridgeport, and is another primarily working class historical neighborhood with mostly a Mexican-American population.

Club Council

Kevin Boyle, President
Amy Grubisic
Anne Vela-Wagner
Antonio Munoz
Brad Baumgarten
David Samber
Deanna Beise
Dominic Susin
Ed Schmit
Frank Capoccia
Frank Cozzi
Gene Lee
Gregg Rzepczynski
Jerry Reinsdorf
Jinger O'Malley
John Gembara
John Jansen
John P. Daley

Joseph Cichon
Kathleen Nelson
Lovetta Spencer
Mary Lacy
Michael Donnelly
Michael Tadin
Mick Fasan
Patrick D. Thompson
Philip Gordon
Richard Nash
Richard M. Daley
Rick Crandall
Salvatore Condemi
Sheldon Levine
Stan Bochnowski
Thomas Palmisano
Victor Dapkus
Vivian Valtas Schmidt
William Costello